Jump to content


Volunteer Programmer

  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Quadrofonic



  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

I learned BASIC and 6502 assembler in the 80s to create my own games, including competitive AIs.

I learned rudimentary C in the early 90s from the Netrek and Xtank projects.

I learned Perl in the mid 90s to write web applications for ISPs.

With a bit of Python under my belt, I intend to learn CrystalSpace/CEL while working on Interstate Outlaws.

From my reading of the CEL docs, there is a lot of potential for this project inherent in the API.

Reading through the IO source, there is a lot of fleshing out to do.

I believe this project could fill a gaming niche that has been vacant since the demise of I76.

Let's have a peek at your development objectives and let's make these buggies DANCE.

#2 R5


    Team Lead

  • Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Arizona, USA

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

I don't want you to think we're ignoring your post. It sounds great and we're definitely interested. However, I'm going to let Cfraz handle your post since he's the lead programmer. He'll pop in here soon, he's just a little busy right now. Thanks for hanging in there with us ;)


#3 cfraz89



  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:54 AM

Hey Quadrofonic,
It would be great to have you on board. We need all the coding help we can get! Get in touch with me, my email is cfraz89 @ *:D* gmail *:D* . com

#4 TaMaX



  • Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:40 PM

I learned BASIC and 6502 assembler in the 80s to create my own games, including competitive AIs.

wow ... that must be very interesting , i wanna learn about it !

#5 Quadrofonic



  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

Well first of all, the Apple II used vector shapes rather than bitmapped sprites. This meant they could be rotated or scaled up to appear larger instead of having to use bitmaps of different rotations and sizes. Thus I was able to use one shape for an Apollo lunar module I could rotate, and one shape for the rocket flame I could scale up to depict the thrust level with HCOLOR=5 (orange).

Vector shapes also meant a lot of binary math, all done on paper. First you used graph paper to plot out the shape, then you converted it to a series of vectors, then you converted the vectors to their binary representations, then you combined them with binary math to end up with the bytes that represented the shape. Once all your shapes were encoded thusly, you would calculate the shape table index to define the number of shapes and byte offsets to each, then POKE the entire shape table into a specific memory location, byte by byte. (See Example 19)

Once that was done, you could rotate, scale or color the shape when drawn on the screen. (Though the color wouldn't matter unless you had an expensive color monitor. Most were orange or green.) The XDRAW routine drew the shape with an XOR mask so it wouldn't erase other graphics it moved over, mostly. It also returned a collision detection value your game logic could use to determine, for example, if your lunar lander just collided with the moon. Check the vertical and horizontal velocity values to see if you need to draw the spinning explosion vector shape (HCOLOR=5) and POKE a suitable series of tones to the speaker.

And all this happened in 280x192 resolution, unless you opted to use four lines of text at the bottom of the screen (a text HUD used less CPU than a graphical one) which left you with 280x168.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users