9 replies to this topic

#1 Tom

Tom

Groove

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hello there!

I have decided to make a list of all the known issues you fellow IO followers are having with your games. I will try and keep this as up to date as possible and help people where I can. So please do check this thread every time you browse this forum for updates on the issues.

All current problem threads will be marked with an exclamation mark icon when they have been read and added to this thread.
  • The game freezes!
    There are people claiming that the game freezes on the 'splash screen' and are then unable to do anything other than terminate the process to restore functionality to their PC.

Status / Solution: This is not the splash screen, it's the menu! Set the resolution of the game to the correct resolution for your monitor and you will be able to see the menu a lot more clearly.

• The game crashes when loading Melee or MultiMelee
    If you do not set a name in the garage before launching a game, the game crashes. This is for the Windows release only.

Status / Solution: Set a name in the garage before launching a game!

• I don't have a joystick!
    Reading the console messages, it becomes apparent that there is almost always an error loading the plugin for a joystick. This is simply because you don't have a joystick. Don't worry.

Status / Solution: Ignore it. Or plug in a joystick!

• CPU at 100%
    People using Intel Core 2 Duo processors are reporting their CPU to be at 100% usage all the time whilst playing IO.

Status / Solution: The game will try and use as much CPU as possible to maximise the FPS potential. This does not affect system performance or any other tasks running in the background.

• Alt + Left Key = text box but not able to insert any text
    When pressing Alt + Left Key to enter text, users have reported to be unable to type anything in the box initially. Instead, 'pressing the title-bar' first to allow for text entry.

Status / Solution: cfraz89 thinks this may be a problem on his part but is unsure. More on this as it develops.

• Glibc Compatibility
    'I couldn't run game because it's statically linked against glibc 2.4. I my distibution I have only two variants 2.3 and 2.5.' A dynamic version decreases the chances of the game running even more.

Status / Solution: Builds have now been created for both glibc 2.4 and 2.5. Get them from the download thread.

• Windows 98
    Unfortunately, the 3D engine now used for IO does not have support for Windows 98. Anyone running Windows 98 may be a little bit peeved to read this.

Status / Solution: Upgrade your version of Windows.

• Linux Library: libpython2.4.so.1.0
    TerraRoot attempted to use a 32bit library on a 64bit machine. Everyone makes mistakes, and it's always the simple things we forget. No harm done though.

Status / Solution: Obtain a 64bit version?

• Vehicle Cornering Issue
    Some people are reporting cornering a vehicle to be more 'power sliding' than anything. Especially when turning left and then immediately right straight after.

Status / Solution: We're working on redoing the car physics.

#2 bobyjoe

bobyjoe

Creeper

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 03:34 AM

Glibc Compatibility
'I couldn't run game because it's statically linked against glibc 2.4. I my distibution I have only two variants 2.3 and 2.5.' A dynamic version decreases the chances of the game running even more.

Solution: Builds have now been created for both glibc 2.4 and 2.5. Get them from the download thread.

Sorry, it's not a solution for everyone of us. Here I only have libc6-2.3.6 which is 2.3 I suppose. Building with 2.5 will not help

Is it absolutely necessary to build it with 2.4 ? If not you can build a lower version and it should work with every upper...

Anyway, I dont see any link to the source, or any license information. Is it closed-source ? If it is damn, I can't build it myself so the DIY doesn't even work here.

I downloaded the game the day it was out. After seeing this error I just gave up, and didn't search. I just thought "oh, fine, ... I will look for the source then" but never found it. Any link (if it's open of course).

#3 cfraz89

cfraz89

Vigilante

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:53 AM

The game is the source. Its written in Python, which means that the source runs directly. The "build" part of the build is the crystal space framework which the game is built on. I wouldn't know how to build against a lower version of glibc, because I'm running on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn which uses glibc 2.5. I was suprised enough that I could get a 2.4 build out of it.

#4 bobyjoe

bobyjoe

Creeper

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:50 PM

The game is the source. Its written in Python, which means that the source runs directly. The "build" part of the build is the crystal space framework which the game is built on.

How do I build this? If I can try this myself I would be entirely satisfied

#5 cfraz89

cfraz89

Vigilante

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 11:49 AM

OK, the four main dependencies are ODE, Python, SWIG and jam.
If you can get python-dev packages, swig, and jam packages for your distro, thats great. You may also find ode dev packages, but distro ode builds tend to lack trimesh support or are outdated, so you'll probably have to compile your own
Try to get ODE 0.7, since I'm not sure if the game runs on 0.8

To install ODE:
./configure --enable-release --with-trimesh=opcode --prefix=YOUR PREFIX HERE
make
sudo make install

If you can't find SWIG, try to get the latest release, then
./configure
make
sudo make install

This is identical for jam

And then you need to checkout Crystal Space and CEL from subversion:
svn co https://crystal.svn....rystal/CS/trunk CS_latest
svn co https://cel.svn.sour...t/cel/cel/trunk CEL_latest

Then you need to compile crystal space:
./configure
jam

Then you need to let stuff know where crystal space is, so add this to the .bash_profile in your home folder:
export CRYSTAL="WHEREVER YOU COMPILED CS"

You'll have to login again to make that export line work, or you can copy it into the terminal you are using.

Then you need to compile CEL:
./configure
jam

And the game will need to know where CEL is, so this goes underneath the other line in your .bash_profile:
export CEL="WHEREVER YOU COMPILED CEL"

And that should be enough to run the game.

#6 bobyjoe

bobyjoe

Creeper

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

Thanks man, I will do that.

#7 bobyjoe

bobyjoe

Creeper

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:35 AM

Too bad. Everything did compile easily, though it takes some time.

Then outlaws start, ask for some update, and then nothing.

This is the output so you can say if it's critical/related or not.

crystalspace.pluginmgr.loadplugin:

could not load plugin 'crystalspace.dynamics.ode'

Warning: Cannot convert string "vlines2" to type Pixmap

Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

Warning: Unable to load any usable fontset

I suppose the three last warnings are not concerned but hey, go figure.

By the way, it's an old ODE version (0.5) so I'm gonna try to compile that too. Will be back with the success/failed report.

#8 cfraz89

cfraz89

Vigilante

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:53 AM

Yeah, the first ode problem is pretty critical, but hte last three may be too. It may help to install all the freetype-dev packages.

#9 bobyjoe

bobyjoe

Creeper

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:07 AM

I compiled ode-0.7, compiled CS again, and CEL.

With some LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to /usr/local/bin (because I installed ode there to not mess with my system stuff) it's starting !

but.. no sound.

DEBUG: Sound System Software Renderer Initializing...

Don't know what this mean.

Anyway, 1Go needed to compile Crystal Space is huge !

Someone need to do packages!

#10 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:17 AM

We haven't yet incorporated sound into the game.

...but we're going to slowly start phasing sound into the game starting with the next patch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users