Some questions.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gofast_*

Guest_gofast_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

Hello all. Just not to be deleted from this forum another time :P I thought I tell you some things I was wondering about when IO used CrystelSpace and it seemed like there will be no further versions and still do. I have low coding skills and was trying to get used to CrystelSpace to help on simple issues with IO but gave up after trying for some weeks to playback a simple animation. Few weeks ago I read that IO want's to switch the gameengine. When reading that IO will be ported to the UnrealEngine I was thinking why UnrealEngine and not an opensource enginge with a widely used scripting language?
So here are some questions I have:
Why UE? (I was also wondering why not just help another small opensource project so to small opensource projects can benefit from eachother some nice I know of: csp , overdose , Xreal)
Will there be a Linux version?
Will it be still os?

Some wishes:
Please don't make it too realistic like trocs or vdrift so one can't drive the car when playing on a keyboard.
Please make bots available (no problem if they are dumb it is still fun fighting against 100 dumb bots ;) )
Please add playing over LAN support.

#2 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:01 PM

Sorry that you keep getting deleted. We have been having issues with spambots and we keep clearing out users with 0 posts. Hopefully we'll be upgrading the forums soon.

Open-source engines (like crystalspace) are great and they provide a lot of flexibility. Unfortunately, they're an uphill battle for most game dev teams. We had to create all of the tools ourselves. Mapping and road building tools were non-existent at the time we were working with crystalspace and we spent a considerable amount of manpower trying to develop them. UDK has millions of dollars worth of development behind it and already has all the tools we need. Linux support will depend on UDK's porting to Linux. If they do it, we'll support it. In the mean time, you can try things like Wine.

For physics, we're shooting for a happy medium between i76 and i82, but we really haven't worked out the specifics yet. Bots will eventually be available, but maybe not for the first release. I can't give you a straight answer on that at the moment since we don't know. Our new engine already supports LAN games, no worries about that!

Right now we're making slow but steady progress. We've got basic vehicles and weapons rigged up in the game and we're working on controlling the player's ability to change weapon configurations. We've got some maps in progress and we'll probably post pictures soon.

Let us know if you have any other questions!

R5

#3 ndlsjk

ndlsjk

Groove

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:27 AM

As far as Open Source goes...my understanding is that we are not releasing source code (read: unrealscripts or models, etc) to the public as of yet. Whether or not we will in the future hasn't been decided, however I would probably err toward the side of caution, and say it will be closed. By no means am I making the decision for the entire team, nor is it a decision I have really given a load of thought. Perhaps R5 has thought about it a little more than I have and will have some input regarding the availability of the UDK source.

Off to the dev forum to begin a post about this :)

#4 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:51 AM

Obviously we were open source in the past. Ndlsjk is pretty much spot on. For the time being we're going to remain closed, but of course we're always open to suggestions. If it becomes apparent that the pros outweigh the cons, we'll definitely consider going back to open source.

#5 ndlsjk

ndlsjk

Groove

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:26 AM

Yeah after I thought about it more I figured that the norm was to be closed source with udk since so much of the underlying framework is already made...which lends itself to closed source development. I could post my scripts here if someone wanted them but it really is all based on the UDK engine code...once we start adding custom functions and states and all that an open source derivative would be a nice way to let other UDK devs look at it, but for the most part coding for an existing engine and game framework like this is just a task of making my code fit into the jigsaw of the rest that is there.

So. No dev forum post for now

#6 Lazarus Mavridis

Lazarus Mavridis

Creeper

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yeah after I thought about it more I figured that the norm was to be closed source with udk since so much of the underlying framework is already made...which lends itself to closed source development. I could post my scripts here if someone wanted them but it really is all based on the UDK engine code...once we start adding custom functions and states and all that an open source derivative would be a nice way to let other UDK devs look at it, but for the most part coding for an existing engine and game framework like this is just a task of making my code fit into the jigsaw of the rest that is there.

So. No dev forum post for now

What is the new update here? I think it needs more improvement.

#7 Azz [GUN]

Azz [GUN]

Lead Programmer

• Dev Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

And you are...?

#8 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin