• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 marsh

marsh

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:05 PM

I can't believe that people are still playing these games 8-10 years later... I had a lot of fun making the first one, and the second one, uh, well, it was educational in any case ;P I am glad to see that people really enjoyed them though. I still have an I'76 poster hardbacked and mounted on my wall at home, a lot of good memories there. It's still a game I am very proud of. I'm looking forward to checking out where you guys are taking the franchise.

Marshall Robin
Programmer, Interstate '76
Lead Programmer, Interstate '82

#2 Shponglizer

Shponglizer

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:37 PM

And another hello for everyone here!

My name is Kurt Arnlund and I am another one of the original programmers on Interstate '76, I'76 Nitro Pack & Classic, as well as the Force Feedback joystick version. Some of the items I remember working on were the weapons systems, bullets, missiles, explosions, collision screen blur, the in-car items on the 3D hud, steering wheel, left and right hand gun views, speedometer, gear shifter, automatic transmission simulation, looking back through the rear window.

I've really enjoyed reading how much everyone still likes Interstate '76 after all these years. As just about the first game I ever worked on, what you are doing here means a lot to me.

If you ever have any questions feel free to ask, I may even find some time to contribute some code or systems if you'd like. I'll have to re-write them from scratch, but at least I have the benefit of experience :-) I'm certain an amazing driving experience could be made these days, though the technical challenges will probably be in the similar areas that we faced (terrain, and car physics)

Best,

Kurt Arnlund
Programmer on Interstate '76
Lead of Nitro Pack Expansion and Classic Version with 3D card support
http://www.potm.org/

Currently I'm a Sr Game Programmer at The Collective/Shiny working on Silent Hill 5

#3 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:51 AM

Hey guys,

Wow, all I'm not even sure what to say. I think it would be more appropriate if I said you guys are awesome! How did you find us? Nobody seems to really know that we exist.

I hope you guys download the alpha and try it out. We really need help with programming. I'm an Aerospace Engineering student here in Arizona and I kind of pulled this team together. The lead programmer is a computer programming student down in Australia, but he really has his hands full with school right now. We're programming in python mostly and using the Crystalspace engine. We've also got some modelers scattered across the globe: Ukraine, UK, and another here in the states. I'm sure you've seen the Toyota truck model on the front page of the website.

If you guys have the time to help, that would be phenomenal. I'd really love to write more, but I have an early aircraft design class in the morning!

Take care!

Logan

#4 Shponglizer

Shponglizer

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:02 PM

I found this site through Wikipedia. I was wondering if I should link the I'76 wiki page to my website, and down in the links section for the Interstate '76 page I saw this site.

I have downloaded the demo, but haven't run it yet. I'm in Alpha right now on Silent Hill so I don't have tons of time, but I'll give it a shot when I get a moment.

Kurt

Hey guys,

Wow, all I'm not even sure what to say. I think it would be more appropriate if I said you guys are awesome! How did you find us? Nobody seems to really know that we exist.

I hope you guys download the alpha and try it out. We really need help with programming. I'm an Aerospace Engineering student here in Arizona and I kind of pulled this all together. The lead programmer is a computer programming student down in Australia, but he really has his hands full with school right now. We're programming in python mostly and using the Crystalspace engine. We've also got some modelers scattered across the globe: Ukraine, UK, and another here in the states. I'm sure you've seen the Toyota truck model on the front page of the website.

If you guys have the time to help, that would be phenomenal. I'd really love to write more, but I have an early aircraft design class in the morning!

Take care!

Logan

#5 Evo

Evo

Public Relations

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:35 AM

Hey, Marsh, did you enter in these details for i82sim.dll? ;)

It's great to see you both here on our forums, I've never seen a former Interstate developer post on a community forum... ever. I just assumed you guys were mythical creatures, things people talk about but something that no one ever sees!

As RedFive has already pointed out, we are always looking for assistance in any shape or form. But I'll be honest, its just great seeing you here keeping an eye on the project.

I spent a lot of time when I should have been doing homework, studying for tests, sleeping, eating, etc. playing Interstate '76 and Interstate '82 religiously; particularly Capture The Trout in i82. I just got to thank you both for your hard work on both those projects, they were both awesome in my eyes and I'm sure many others too. These two games spawned a close-knit community that still survives to this day and I'm sure will continue to survive for many more years to come.

Attached Files

This is just a placeholder...

#6 Shponglizer

Shponglizer

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:21 PM

Can I get access to your attachment? It says I don't have permission to view it.

Thanks,

Kurt

#7 marsh

marsh

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

It's great to see you both here on our forums, I've never seen a former Interstate developer post on a community forum... ever. I just assumed you guys were mythical creatures, things people talk about but something that no one ever sees!

As RedFive has already pointed out, we are always looking for assistance in any shape or form. But I'll be honest, its just great seeing you here keeping an eye on the project.

I spent a lot of time when I should have been doing homework, studying for tests, sleeping, eating, etc. playing Interstate '76 and Interstate '82 religiously; particularly Capture The Trout in i82. I just got to thank you both for your hard work on both those projects, they were both awesome in my eyes and I'm sure many others too. These two games spawned a close-knit community that still survives to this day and I'm sure will continue to survive for many more years to come.

I don't have access to this either!

#8 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:30 AM

Really? Hmm...let me have a look at the forum permissions...

--edit--

Okay, fixed it. Sorry about that. :(

#9 marsh

marsh

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:07 PM

No! Haha, I am surprised that got out like that!

-marsh

#10 -HF- Wing' AVA

-HF- Wing' AVA

Creeper

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 08:48 PM

Whoa. Kurt Arnlund, voice of Oktoberfest, and Marshall Robin, namesake of the Ransom Marshall! </creepy_fanboy>

Guys, you may want to talk to Lightfoot over at interstate76.com...the original games are on the verge of being lost forever to online play. Incompatibility is the major killer, and just a few tweaks here and there might revive it. Activision is such a bureaucracy that there's no chance of getting the source code released...numerous tries have been made with little more than automated responses.

VERY cool to see you guys here. Any input that you can give to make the gameplay experience closer to its namesake is a boon.

Evo, you shoulda been around on the I'76 Community Message Board in '98. Zack Norman, Alex Stien and either Chip James or Scott Krager showed up and gave us all one hell of a jolt. They popped in and out of the community from time to time in various places until I'82 was released.

#11 Spitfire

Spitfire

Creeper

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

Evo, you shoulda been around on the I'76 Community Message Board in '98. Zack Norman, Alex Stien and either Chip James or Scott Krager showed up and gave us all one hell of a jolt. They popped in and out of the community from time to time in various places until I'82 was released.

Ah I remember those days with great fondness. Of course, I was only 13 or so at the time :lol:

"It is unseasonably warm." :P

#12 marsh

marsh

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:21 PM

Whoa. Kurt Arnlund, voice of Oktoberfest, and Marshall Robin, namesake of the Ransom Marshall! </creepy_fanboy>

Guys, you may want to talk to Lightfoot over at interstate76.com...the original games are on the verge of being lost forever to online play. Incompatibility is the major killer, and just a few tweaks here and there might revive it. Activision is such a bureaucracy that there's no chance of getting the source code released...numerous tries have been made with little more than automated responses.

VERY cool to see you guys here. Any input that you can give to make the gameplay experience closer to its namesake is a boon.

I know Alex used to hang out a bunch on I82 Initiative a lot too. He's at SCEA now up the street from me, he worked on God of War but I don't know what he's up to now.

#13 Chael

Chael

Creeper

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:09 AM

Wow, this is amazing! You guys are kinda my heroes....

I fell deeply in love with I76 back on my pentium 133. I came to see I76 as a work of art rather than a game. Right now I'm attending devry university, majoring in game design. Interstate '76 has always represented the epic, timeless game that I've always wanted to create. I don't play it much these days, being reluctant to install win9x on one of my machines, but I think of it often and always remember it fondly.

I must know: who was responsible for "No polygonal animals were harmed in the creation of this product". And were they joking? I mean how many of those armadillos were destroyed in the late-night hours of testing and tweaking?

#14 Shponglizer

Shponglizer

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:24 AM

I must know: who was responsible for "No polygonal animals were harmed in the creation of this product". And were they joking? I mean how many of those armadillos were destroyed in the late-night hours of testing and tweaking?

First of all.. thanks for the kind words! While neither Marshall nor I are responsible for the game concept or design or anything like that, we still have fond memories of working on I'76 and love to hear praise like that. Well really.. who wouldn't eh?

That quote sounds like a "Sean Vesce"-ism to me, but it could have also come from Zack Norman, or Scott Krager. They were more in control of what got put in the credits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users