• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Piranha'76

Piranha'76

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

Hi, i registered, because in my opinion Interstate '76 is the best game ever made and i want more. I don't really care about any other game and i've been hoping for a similar/remake of the game and dreaming of starting a I'76 remake project myself, but i don't have the skills to do that, except maybe as a game designer/project lead.

I've followed this project from the beginning and now it seems, that the project will go the way of the dodo like so many other good projects.

I do understand that people have real lives to live and so on, but i see couple of mistakes, that i think needs to be corrected. Basically the problem is communication with the community. The only news about IO on other sites are from way back when the project was started and the first downloadable version came out, there hasn't been any news in a year and no updates either, the developer forums are closed from viewing, there's no public code repository, there's no open source license and you do not even answer valid questions. I don't know how you except to get more programmers, when you are just waiting for them to show up on the forums and ask for the position. I'm sure cfraz isn't the only python programmer who wants another shot at I'76 type of game. Maybe there's some python forums, that could be used to do a little advertisement and ask for help.

You've gotten so far, it's playable, it runs quite good and after the basic features are in, i'm sure you'll get tons of content.

This might sound very harsh coming from a guy, who just joined the forums and who cannot help with programming, but i can't just let this game die a slow death. R5, cfraz and others. I hope i didn't offend you, that was not my intention, but these are clearly issues, that need to be dealt with. The first thing, what is the license? I can't find it anywhere, not in the code, not in the readme, not on the webpages, not in the forums.

And if the project is dead, then please announce it, release it as GPL and maybe some day, someone can finish it.

#2 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:12 PM

Purely for the community's sake, I will answer the questions you have put forth -- but at this point I have zero desire to help you otherwise. If you find it within yourself to attempt communication in a different tone, I may become more agreeable. At this point, however, I'm annoyed.

The code is already under GNU GPL and we made the mistake of omitting the documentation to that effect in the original release. It was supposed to be fixed in the next update. It is available under a public repository; perhaps a search engine can assist you with that endeavor.

#3 Piranha'76

Piranha'76

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:46 AM

I kind of guessed you would be, but that wasn't my intention. I come in peace. I'm just very worried about the future of the project. I've seen too many projects gone dead.

I stand corrected on those, but why isn't that information available easily? I did search for info about the things i talked about before making the post. I'm glad you're fixing the missing documentation.

All i ask is that you share a bit more on what's going on. I think that's fair and it makes things a lot better both ways, don't you?

#4 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:11 PM

You talk as if we owe you something. We were under no obligation to create IO. We did it with our own free will with no expectations from the end user. The fact that we got as far as we did is amazing in and of itself. The fact that you're demanding more fom us is difficult to comprehend. You have no skills to bring to the table and have not offered to donate any money to the cause -- yet your attitude is that we have wronged you in some way because we didn't include enough documentation? I guess you get what you pay for.

The project is not dead. When we have funding to support our future plans, things will move forward. Until then, it is our choice to put it on hold.

#5 Piranha'76

Piranha'76

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

I never said you had some kind of obligation to create or continue IO, but i don't think keeping everything quiet is a way to go either. The license text would be good for legal reasons you know.

I've noticed, that if one reads a text, one can really make it sound like any tone they want. I have in both of my messages said, that i do not wish to offend or anything like that, so read it like i mean it.

I also said, that you've gotten very far and i wish it will continue(i wish that very much). I don't know how you read that as a demand. If you are not dead, but on hold, then i don't see why you can't put some kind of a news about the state or maybe there's been some other newsworthy thing, you know to keep the heartbeat going. That's what i can't comprehend. Try viewing it from non dev side. It's been very quiet, so naturally people wish to know, what's up. You devs know exactly where things are going, but it isn't clear to the rest of us without some kind of a message.

The thing about the license was that, IF the project was abandoned/dead, it would be good to have, so that someone else could continue. That was all that i was saying.

What i meant with the 'seeing to many projects gone dead' was that i think everyone's seen a project slowing down and then there's no news and it's quiet and the devs have just abadoned the project and haven't even bothered to tell about that. That wasn't demand on you to continue.

So now we know, the project isn't dead, that's very good news. I wish you well with the development and i aplaud to what you already have (no backthoughts, no sarcasm, just thumps up. Just to clarify).

#6 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:41 PM

The reason it never occurred to us to post that the project has been delayed is that none of us really believe there is any sort of following here. The forums are dead and the most donations we've received since we started accepting donations (3 or 4 years ago) is $5. As you can see, nobody posted directly after you saying "Yeah, I agree! Give us an update!" It's not the best gauge, but I'd say it's a pretty good indicator. The Interstate genre is filled with a lot of great people who love the game -- but unfortunately it is this same community that is unique in one thing: everybody wants to bring the game back, but very few have the talent(s) to do so. If you've spent any time at the i82.co.uk or interstate76.com forums in the last ten years, you surely have noticed that trend.

Put some programmers on my doorstep and I can work with that. Until then, we're all too busy to go recruiting at the moment. That is not to say we haven't tried or to imply that we won't try again -- far from it. But currently, all of our hands are tied.

R5

#7 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:17 AM

I'm serious about the programmers-on-my-doorstep comment...

That is, of course, if you're serious..

#8 stormycanz

stormycanz

Vigilante

• Dev Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:07 AM

i think theres probably alot more following than you realise R5. i only jumped on the forums after i saw an update on the main page

anyways wheres the dosh go from donations. perhaps i can throw a few dollars towards the project

btw i dont want to start another flame up but i didnt see Piranha posts as demanding, mainly just an inquiry ;)
www.vmotorsport.co.nz

#9 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:19 PM

We've only ever received $5 in donations. Hah.

It's supposed to pay for our server and domain expenses. We've got some bills coming up next month if you're interested ;)

#10 Guest_excalibur3500_*

Guest_excalibur3500_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

It's supposed to pay for our server and domain expenses. We've got some bills coming up next month if you're interested ;)

That's ghetto :P Let it be known that, like others here, I'm very much in favor of IO and any progress is awesome :) I've been following this project for quite a while now. Too bad, like some others as well, I don't have any programming experience to lend to the project. And at the moment, financially I cannot help either. But I can offer support in that I really like what you are doing. I'll keep IO in mind when I finally get some disposable income and make some donations to help the cause!

#11 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:24 PM

Well, we really appreciate the support guys. There should be some news coming up soon with regards to the changes that have been going on lately. We're all a little busy at the moment, but we're really trying to make sure things pickup soon. Hang in there!

#12 stormycanz

stormycanz

Vigilante

• Dev Team
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

Done
www.vmotorsport.co.nz

#13 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

Hey, you weren't kidding! Thanks man, this will go directly to our server costs.

#14 ndlsjk

ndlsjk

Groove

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:32 AM

I also only registered because of the recent News Post...I have also watched many great ideas for games fall through the cracks.

I understand how life is...I work full time and have class full time but still would like to offer some support and possibly help...

I am in college for computer science and have experience (limited) with C++ in Unix. I have only done simple console programming but understand a lot of the underlying concepts in regards to the language. I pick things up pretty quickly and will definitely enjoy learning while helping a cause that I can get behind.

Also: Sent in a small (sorry its not more) donation to you guys.

#15 Evo

Evo

Public Relations

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:20 AM

I'll take responsibility for the lack of communication with the community in the past, my title is Public Relations.

In any case, it is difficult to provide frequent and regular updates with the community because progress on the game in the past has been very sporadic. It looks very much like that will be less of an issue, our development team has grown a bit and we have some great talent on the team.
This is just a placeholder...

#16 Spitfire

Spitfire

Creeper

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

That's good to hear.

I still like to check to see what you guys are up to from time to time, and it is really refreshing to see some new posts on the main page. ;)

#17 NIshnadh M

NIshnadh M

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:58 PM

Am interested in doing some designs. Logos and all. I use GIMP. ive seen the save as Targa. and I do fotografy extensievly. Textures and all.
May I be of any help :blink: ? Did I miss the demands / job necessities for the project , placed somewhere in this website?

#18 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:44 PM

We really just need reliable programmers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users