23 replies to this topic

#1 Evo

Evo

Public Relations

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:44 PM

Anyone remember Vigilante 8? The console version of Interstate '76 & 82?

It's been redone and being relaunched for Xbox 360 on XBL Arcade.

http://v8arcade.com/

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/08/vig..._to_xbla-2.html

Also, the final version has just been submitted to Microsoft for approval, which means we could be seeing it, very, very soon.
This is just a placeholder...

#2 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:46 AM

Damn. I guess it's time to close up shop.

^_^

#3 Chael

Chael

Creeper

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:04 PM

Meh. Arcade.

R5, you're only half joking aren't you?

#4 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

Um, I think so....right Evo?

#5 Evo

Evo

Public Relations

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:49 AM

Even if you're too cheap to pick up a 360 console, this is still something to be excited about.

If this title makes money, it could lead to the Interstate series potentially being picked up again. If not on PCs, at the very least on consoles.

I would have thought after such a long period of time, everyone would be rapt to feel a pulse on anything related to the franchise...

#6 Jon-Factor

Jon-Factor

Dev Team

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:27 PM

I would have thought after such a long period of time, everyone would be rapt to feel a pulse on anything related to the franchise...

And IO is a stuffed turkey?

#7 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 05:24 AM

My feelings for V8 are luke warm, Evo. It is better than nothing, but somebody funding us would be a much better idea. We have the experience with the genre required to make an awesome game, it's the resources and people that we lack. Ahh, but I don't mind being the underdog.

...can you define that statement a little better, Jon? What's wrong with Thanksgiving?

#8 Evo

Evo

Public Relations

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 09:56 AM

I'm not trying to dispute our vision is vastly superior, I'm just completely over the moon that someone out there is funding the series' comeback, albeit in Vigilante 8 form and on consoles. I think thats friggin' brilliant.

I've already emailed the developers behind V8:Arcade referring them to this project and the interest that still exists in Interstate, I even suggested they include CTT and ME in their game.

Who knows, their potential success with V8 may signal to them there is a market for the genre and they may recruit people from here or even chose to develop IO. Who knows?

Not unheard of either, Desert Combat mod team was picked up by EA/Dice and led to Battlefield 2.

#9 Gearu

Gearu

Creeper

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 12:40 PM

I've been a V8 fan since day one, and have long respected activision since the NES days.
Look, it was good to hear there's a (watered down) return of V8, but on the XBOX! not cool.
Xbox is just a cash in on the video games industry and always will be, I support what video games consoles are all about, competition and war between each other, It's sad to see so many games available on multiple consoles, there is absolutely no point to this, we'll just end up deciding which console box looks better on the outside...
You want Gran Turismo, you buy Playstation, you want Mario, you buy Nintendo, you want both, you buy both, pretty simple.

and now, my point:
I'm begging you that when contacting those developers, ensure any future Interstate games do not appear on the xbox, the world will end.
It's not right when someone just throws a bucket of cash at something, it messes up natural balance and course, like if Gates gave a couple of billion to some terrorists, that would be a major problem, a comparable thing has happened to the videogames industry.

#10 Seronx

Seronx

Creeper

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:36 AM

I've been a V8 fan since day one, and have long respected activision since the NES days.
Look, it was good to hear there's a (watered down) return of V8, but on the XBOX! not cool.
Xbox is just a cash in on the video games industry and always will be, I support what video games consoles are all about, competition and war between each other, It's sad to see so many games available on multiple consoles, there is absolutely no point to this, we'll just end up deciding which console box looks better on the outside...
You want Gran Turismo, you buy Playstation, you want Mario, you buy Nintendo, you want both, you buy both, pretty simple.

and now, my point:
I'm begging you that when contacting those developers, ensure any future Interstate games do not appear on the xbox, the world will end.
It's not right when someone just throws a bucket of cash at something, it messes up natural balance and course, like if Gates gave a couple of billion to some terrorists, that would be a major problem, a comparable thing has happened to the videogames industry.

You forgot
You want halo, you buy xbox....

Note: 408+ 82 = 500 right?

#11 Chael

Chael

Creeper

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:19 PM

You forgot
You want halo, you buy xbox....

Note: 408+ 82 = 500 right?

No one wants Halo! :angry:

It is nice to see another auto-combat game out there, but as far as I'm concerned it's just a modified twisted metal. I had a V8 game on... Dreamcast was it? that was a long time ago. I think if I were to play a console auto-combat game it would be Roadkill for PS2, but even that loses it's charm within a few minutes.

#12 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:33 PM

You guys see the commercials for that new autocombat movie?

#13 Evo

Evo

Public Relations

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 01:12 AM

Consoles have garnered a strong and loyal following in recent years, with the addition of online services to compliment consoles they're becoming a much more legitimate form of gaming in comparison to those heady days of the Nintendo Entertainment System.

Now, the biggest reason why a lot of games you're seeing being released on console first is due primarily to piracy that is rampant in regards to PC games. I'm not saying there's no piracy for consoles, there is, but it is much, much less accessible to console owners.

Also, why V8:Arcade is on Xbox 360 in particular? Xbox 360 is easy to develop for and it will be sold via Xbox Live Arcade, so distribution isn't an issue, small overheads and you don't need to worry about piracy, as the game is only authorised to work on the console that downloaded it.

I have a PS3, Xbox 360 and a Wii. The 360 is a great console with quite a few games on it that appeal to me, the PS3, less so. I have Gran Turismo 5 Prologue but find it inferior to Forza 2 (online play is grossly inferior). I absolutely love Uncharted: Drake's Fortune though and I'm all hyped up over LittleBigPlanet. Havin' both is definitely an advantage in my mind. ;)

#14 CADman

CADman

Creeper

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

Hi guys

seen Death race?? New movie.

they have the overtake handbrake 180 and fire move ;) and a truck with weps.... hmmm
hehe

a good watch for any vig for sure

got me thinking of stuff....... ;)

CAD.

#15 R5

R5

Team Lead

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

Hey bro,

I haven't seen it, actually. Although I did see the commercials and I was totally thinking the same thing as you! Maybe they'll make a game out of it, hehe.

Hope you're doing well.

R5

#16 Shinobi

Shinobi

Creeper

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:44 AM

I wonder if it will be any good.

#17 ncl1994

ncl1994

Creeper

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:32 PM

I just hope it can recapture the magic of the old game!

#18 Tom

Tom

Groove

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

Sequels and copies can never produce the same element of joy you get from playing the original for the first time. They can come close though.

#19 Shinobi

Shinobi

Creeper

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:45 PM

Sequels and copies can never produce the same element of joy you get from playing the original for the first time. They can come close though.

I'd say that depends on how much time has passed.

#20 Shinobi

Shinobi

Creeper

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:17 AM

After viewing the gameplay videos, I can safely say the new Vigilante 8 is not very good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users